We're not new to this, we're true to this
Incorporated in 1907 in the State of Texas as the YWCA of the University of Texas, we are one of the oldest women's organizations in the area. We serve over 4500 women, girls, and their families annually. Since our inception, we have been at the forefront of the most pressing social movements.
STEM Girl SuperStars/STEM Chiquitas SuperEstrellas
STEM Girl SuperStars/ STEM Chiquitas SuperEstrellas is an empowerment program that takes a holistic approach to inviting girls age 13 and under to explore the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math to encourage engagement and study of STEM. This program invites girls and their families to increase knowledge of STEM, systemic barriers and cultural norms which discourage involvement in STEM, and intergenerational experiences of STEM. YWCA Greater Austin aims to reach the Latinx community, first time English learners, and other youth who have historically been underrepresented in STEM fields.
- 6-week program which involves experiential work, influenced by Google for Education First Computer Science modules, complemented with examination of social norms and social emotional development.
- Each weekly session is 1 ½ hours and consists of education, social discussion related to theme, practice of social emotional skills, experiential work, and processing.
- 8 - 10 year olds will meet Fridays from 4:00 PM - 5:15 PM
- 11 - 13 year olds will meet Wednesdays from 4:00 PM - 5:15 PM
- Sessions scheduled to begin on Wednesday, July 7
- Sessions are facilitated by a mental health professional and an invited professional in the area of focus.
- Participants will be divided by age ranges.
In addition to our 6-week programming, YWCA will be holding monthly STEM Family Workshops. These workshops allow for families to participate together, building connection around STEM learning and fun activities.
Registration is open for any who want to attend and can be accessed here. We encourage interested families to participate in an information session if possible, but it is not required.
Applications to participate can be found at the following links.