We're not new to this, we're true to this
Incorporated in 1907 in the State of Texas as the YWCA of the University of Texas, we are one of the oldest women's organizations in the area. We serve over 4500 women, girls, and their families annually. Since our inception, we have been at the forefront of the most pressing social movements.
STEM Girl SuperStars/STEM Chiquitas SuperEstrellas
STEM Girl SuperStars/ STEM Chiquitas SuperEstrellas is an empowerment program that takes a holistic approach to inviting girls age 14 and under to explore the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math to encourage engagement and study of STEM. This program invites girls and their families to increase knowledge of STEM, systemic barriers and cultural norms which discourage involvement in STEM, and intergenerational experiences of STEM. YWCA Greater Austin aims to reach the Latinx community, first time English learners, and other youth who have historically been underrepresented in STEM fields.
- 6-week program which involves experiential work, influenced by Google for Education First Computer Science modules, complemented with examination of social norms and social emotional development.
- Each weekly session is 1 hour (3rd – 5th grade) or 1 ½ hours (6th- 8thgrade) and consists of education, social discussion related to theme, practice of social emotional skills, experiential work, and processing.
- 3rd-5th grade will meet Tuesdays from 3:30-4:30 PM
- 6th-8th grade will meet Tuesdays from 5-6:30 PM
- Sessions scheduled to begin on Tuesday, February 2
- Sessions are facilitated by a mental health professional and an invited professional in the area of focus.
- Participants will be divided by elementary and middle school ranges.
In addition to our 6-week programming, YWCA will be holding monthly STEM Family Workshops. These workshops allow for families to participate together, building connection around STEM learning and fun activities.
We are holding 2 information sessions for families, these will be conducted in Spanish and English. Info session dates:
- Tuesday, January 19 at 5 PM
- Thursday, January 21 at 10 AM.
Registration is open for any who want to attend and can be accessed here. We encourage interested families to participate in an information session if possible, but it is not required.
Applications to participate can be found at the following links.